A lot of people do not realise that it is actually really easy to build your own website if you are using the right tools and have the right knowledge.
In the past, the hopeful webmaster might have to pay someone thousands of dollars in order to build their own website – this is not true anymore!
There are now a number of software programs that you can purchase that makes building a website point and click simple.
Even better, there are a number of free software programs that you can use to build your own website. WordPress is one of the most popular open source website making software.
The benefits of using WordPress to create your website are:
- it is free
- the open source community is large and friendly. There are always people available to help you in the forums
- the open source community is always creating new features in the form of plugins and themes for free use by the WordPress community
- it is versatile – you can create a blog, an ecommerce site, a membership site – just to name a few. In fact, I think that there is not a lot that you cannot do with WordPress. In fact, in my book WP For Internet Marketers I will show you how to do things with WordPress that you may not have thought possible.
All you need to build your own website with WordPress is:
- buy a domain name
- get some web hosting
- change your domain name servers to the servers of your web host
- If your web host has cpanel you can install WordPress straight away using Fantastico
- If your web host does not have cpanel you can download the software from WordPress, unzip the files and use an ftp client to upload the software to your domain
If you need any help with these processes you can watch the step by step video free tutorials at You Tube.
Once you have uploaded the WordPress software you can choose a new theme and add some WordPress plugins for increased functionality.
That’s it – you are ready to go!
Now all you need to do is add your content. The good news is that you do not need to know any fancy code to do this. In fact, if you can create a word document you can use WordPress.